Sunday, June 2, 2013

Jeremy Bonderman to Start Today for Seattle

I can't sit here and tell you that I actually went out of my way to watch a whole lot of the 2003 Detroit Tigers.  You know, the one that went 43-119?  Were it not for an amazing rally in the final week of the season, this was the worst team in baseball history.  All that has been well documented, and after the signing of Pudge Rodriguez and the hiring of Jim Leyland, the Tigers turned the franchise into what I consider to be the class of the American League right now.  As a man who spent the first 26 years of my life in Michigan, I was very aware of the Detroit Tigers ups and downs, even if I didn't consider them "my team."  They were the game on TV, they were my dad's love, and they were my first baseball love.  While I don't live and die with Tigers baseball these days (or the days I'm about to talk about), I certainly have a long-term interest in the team and the team's performance.  I've watched my fair share of good, but mostly bad Detroit Tigers baseball. Most of my friends and family are Tigers fans.

 Just 10 short years ago, that's when this historic-for-the-wrong-reason season happened, I remember a couple things about that.  I've tried to block most of it out, mostly Bobby Higginson until about 25 minutes ago, but there are a few names I'll never forget.  The names Mike Maroth and Jeremy Bonderman.  A couple young pitchers thrown into the fire to burn because the team didn't have any other options.  While their owner was slinging $5 carryout pizzas and blowing all his cash on the Red Wings (don't think it's a coincidence that after the NHL lockout of 2004-2005, when the salary cap went way down, suddenly the Tigers had money to play with for free agents?) the Tigers grew increasingly and embarrassingly bad. 20 year old Jeremy Bonderman, in his first year with the big leagues, was run out there for 28 starts...and he lost 19 of them.  What were the Tigers supposed to do? They didn't have anyone else.  Bonderman had stuff, but he was just a raw kid.

I'll never forget that, what a man must learn getting pummeled for months on end.  It has to do something to you mentally and emotionally.  Well, things eventually turned around a bit for Jeremy, as he did get to start a game in the World Series just three seasons later (which he lost, but whatever, he started).  So I've always rooted for Mike Maroth, who lost 21 that year, and Bonderman.  Those guys took a beat down and didn't quit.  Bonderman would go on to an injury-riddled and shortened career, being diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, and then having Tommy John surgery.  I don't know if anyone really thought Jeremy Bonderman would ever pitch in the majors again.

But he's pitching today!  For Seattle!  Against the Twins!  There's nothing sports fans like more than winning championships, talking smack to fans of teams that are not your own, and a good comeback story.  This is the comeback story for the ages if he can pull this off.  Needless to say, I'll be watching for sure.  Jeremy Bonderman, I wish you the best of luck.  I want you to succeed so badly.  He used to throw that wicked slider for a strike that just broke off and made batters knees buckle.  I hope he still has that.  He's one of my favorite pitchers because of all the bullshit he's had to deal with and he didn't quit. I mean, look, I can't even write a post without using two huge paragraphs describing just half of what he went through.  The point here is to tell you that, if you are able, you should watch the Mariners game today.  Dude hasn't pitched in the majors since 2010.  I hope he does well.  I really, really do.

-BJP

No comments:

Post a Comment