Saturday, July 14, 2012

Reactions to Baseball's First Half of the 2012 Season

I really wanted to write an All-Star break post, giving my thoughts on the first half of this baseball season, and as you know, I had four and a half days to get that done...and completely failed.  Well I suppose two days after the break ended is good enough, right?

I want to talk about surprises, both good and bad, from the "first half" of the season.  I know it's not really half, but it's the baseball half, so that's what I mean.

I'm surprised by Baltimore.  They were in first, or very near first for the majority of the season, only to now be looking up, way up, at the Yankees.  They're not alone in looking up, and it looks like the Yankees are sprinting towards the finish line on cruise control at this point.  An 8-game gap between 1st and 2nd is never promising for the team in 2nd.  So while things have gone to a more normal standings in the AL east, it's still surprising to see Baltimore in 2nd.  Baseball needs teams like Baltimore to be good every once in a while.

I'm surprised that the Oakland A's are over .500.  Even though they're in third place in the ultra-competitive AL west, they've played well.  But the Rangers and Angels are just too good.  The A's won't do anything this season, but they've played good enough ball for me to want to watch them every once in a while.

I'm surprised by the Washington Nationals.  Experts would say I shouldn't be, but I've seen this team, whether they'er in Montreal or DC look like a team that can compete, and they simply don't.  This year is different.  They've got youth, defensively and offensively.  They've got pitching.  They've got it all rolling right now.  It's good to see them finally be alright, but I hate that it's at the expense of my Braves, obviously.


I'm surprised by the Mets.  They're supposed to be cellar-dwellers this year, and while they're not exactly tearing up the competition (they're in third in the NL East), they're really, really good.  I don't think anyone saw this coming.  I blame R.A. Dickey for that.  He's the only Met I will ever root for.  (probably)


I'm surprised by Boston.  Even when they don't look like they're going to be very good, they somehow compete.  Not this year.  They're playing to their expectations, even if they have dealt with some injuries.  Just look at Washington, they've been decimated with injuries, and they're still in first.  And this is the freakin' Nationals we're talkin' about here.


I'm surprised by Detroit.  With that roster, they should have 60 wins already.  There is no excuse.  


I'm surprised by the Phillies.  That is not a last place caliber team, but with injuries to very, very key players like Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, and Roy Halladay,  it's understandable, moreso than in Boston's case.


Let me just say that I think that Bryce Harper of the Nationals is a real douche-bag.  Sorry, that's clown eye-black, bro.   

That's all I really have to say.  Oh, I'm also surprised I actually wrote this piece.  Enjoy a ballgame today, folks.

Brad

1 comment: